Garmin® International announced new software and feature updates for select smartwatches, including epix™ (Gen 2), fēnix® 7 series, Forerunner® series, Venu® series and more, plus Edge® 540, 840 and 1040 series GPS cycling computers. These new features will help customers get even more from their device.
Notable features in this free software release include:
- Endurance score: Measure an athlete’s ability to sustain prolonged efforts while also taking into account training data like VO2 max, short and long-term training loads and more from all athletic pursuits to better understand how training impacts overall endurance.
- Hill score: Gauge an athlete’s capability to run uphill by measuring running strength on steep climbs and running endurance on long ascents while also evaluating progress over time based on VO2 max and training history.
- Muscle Maps: Expanding on muscle maps for strength workouts, preview what muscle groups will be worked during custom or preset HIIT, cardio, and Pilates workouts, then review the stats post-workout in the Garmin Connect™ app.
- Workouts App: Find and organize workouts – including daily suggested workouts and those downloaded or created in the Garmin Connect app – and review workout history directly from a compatible Garmin device.
- Relief Shading: Get a 3D map view with color and topographic shading to make interpreting terrain and elevation changes on land easier than contour lines alone.
- Weather Map Overlays: View the latest map overlays for precipitation, cloud cover, temperature and wind data right from the smartwatch to make more informed weather decisions.
- Fish Forecast: Receive suggestions for the best days and times to fish based on a celestials database that tracks sun and moon rise and set times, relative position to your location and more.
- Gaming Activity: Integration with the Garmin GameOn™ app provides biometric-based data to help gamers better understand their optimal stress zone, plan breaks with a game power feature and view Body Battery™ energy levels to enhance their level of play.
- GroupRide: Seamlessly create a route in Garmin Connect, then share a unique code with other cyclists in a group (who are using a compatible Edge device) to let everyone see and ride the same course.
The software updates have started to roll out to compatible devices. Customers can update their smartwatch by enabling automatic updates from their device and syncing with Garmin Connect, or by using Garmin Express™. For a comprehensive list of features coming to associated devices, click here.
New UltraFit Nylon Straps
The popular UltraFit nylon straps are now available in more sizes to fit even more Garmin smartwatches. Made with an elastic dual-layer anti-microbial nylon weave that allows moisture to escape, the nylon straps are lightweight, soft and comfortable to wear and provide a dialed-in fit for every unique wrist size. Three strap sizes are now available for both QuickFit® and quick release compatible watches: black or gray 20 mm, 22 mm and 26 mm QuickFit straps and black 18 mm, 20 mm and 22 mm quick release straps.
About Garmin International, Inc.
Garmin International, Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN). Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin, Tacx and Edge are registered trademarks and Garmin Connect is a trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.